Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Painting With Cardboard

I am always looking for fun techniques to add to my cards. There are so many ways to created interesting backgrounds using other mediums. Today I am using cardboard (toilet paper tube) and paint! You could also use lengths of empty wrapping paper tubes.

You may have done this with your kids to paint fireworks in the summer, or flowers in the spring. I am using this for bursts of love in February! 
First of all I chose my sweet image from Sweet n' Sassy Stamps' Valentine Critters Stamp & Die Bundle. I stamped on Georgia Pacific White cardstock with VersaFine Onyx Black ink and embossed with WOW! Clear Detail Embossing Powder. I colored him with Copics and then cut him out using my Big Shot. Next I cut my toilet paper tube into strips about an inch and a half deep.

I chose my paint colors to match tones in the image coloring. I used inexpensive acrylic paint for my two-tone background, painting large circles to "stamp" my cardboard in. I started with the lighter color, pink, and then used the same tube for the red.

The key here is to have a light touch when you pounce on your paper. Sometimes I would have too much force, and then I got a few blobs of paint.

Pounce as many times as you like to get the look you want. I wanted a more open look, so kept my pouncing to 3-4 times.

I made a couple of sheets and will save the other pieces for another project later. I did find, on my second sheet, that the look is different depending on the color you begin with. I started with the red the second time, and put pink on top. Just experiment and see what you like! These photos are from the first sheet.

Finally, I added some patterned paper from Authentique, lace, and stamped the sentiment when the paint was dry. I popped my bunny up using Stampin' Up Dimensionals. I think he turned out pretty cute, don't you? In front of a burst of love!






7 comments:

  1. What a fun technique, Judy. I've never seen it before but I do want to try it. (Supplies should be pretty readily available, right?)
    Thanks for posting your card at If you Give a Crafter a Cookie. Sandy/DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute and clever card!
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Allsorts;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,Judy - thank you so much for sharing your project and creativity at 613! I have seen the technique before - and frankly, I dismissed it's resulting simplicity as not for me. THEN I saw your card and changed my mind! Your creative take on the 'burst' of colors for your background is inspirational! All of a sudden I see several possibilities - LOL! Makes a great card - well done!
    ~ginny, DT for 613 Ave C
    RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the use of the toilet roll inner, what a super idea, the effect looks great, lovely cute image and a great card.
    Thank you for joining our 'Love is in the Air' challenge this week at Allsorts.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card!!! Thanks so much for participating in our IF YOU GIVE A CRAFTER A COOKIE... challenge. Hope you participate in our next challenge!! Have a happy crafty day!!!
    Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super adorable card lovely work.
    Thanks for sharing with us @ AGOAC

    smiles Christine DT x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful and adorable, great how you did the background.
    Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps.
    Greetings, Danoesja

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It means a lot to connect and I appreciate you!